Friday, July 22, 2011

The Very Best No-Bake Oatmeal Cookies

Most of Ohio has been experiencing temperatures in the triple digits all week and my air conditioner is working hard enough without me turning on the oven to get my sugar fix, so I figured I would share my absolute favorite no-bake cookie recipe.  There are many different versions of this recipe all over the web, but my mother's takes the cake!



Ingredients:
1 stick salted butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk*
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup coconut (optional)

*Make sure you use real milk!  I typically only drink almond milk or soy milk and I have tried to make this recipe with them and they don't harden.  Go for the real deal!  Sorry vegans!


Directions:
Bring margarine, sugar and milk to a boil in a large saucepan and allow to boil for one minute. Reduce heat to low.  Add peanut butter and stir until it dissolves in the hot mixture.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla and cocoa and stir well.  Add oatmeal. If you're using coconut and nuts, leave out one cup of oatmeal.  When all of the oatmeal is well coated, drop cookies onto wax paper by the teaspoon and allow to cool.