Friday, July 29, 2011

Tomato Cream Cheese Linguine

This pasta dish has become a summer tradition in my family.  It is unique, delicious and simple!  Since I've been exercising my green thumb this summer, I figured I would use my first bunch of ripe tomatoes to whip up this family favorite.



Ingredients:
3 cups chopped tomatoes (or halved cherry tomatoes)
1-8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 handful of chopped spinach
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-13.25 oz. package whole grain linguine

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cream cheese, olive oil, basil, spinach, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.  Mix well and refrigerate for at least two hours so the flavors can mingle.

Cook the pasta as directed on package.  Reserve about 1/4 cup of the pasta water and drain the rest.  Add the linguine to the tomato mixture, add the pasta water (Giada style).  Toss lightly and serve hot.