This is the perfect cold weather, long day, eat-it-on-the-couch-in-your-PJ's kinda soup!
VEGETABLE TORTELLINI SOUP (adapted from Spoonful)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (more if fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 9 ounces fresh cheese filled tortellini
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped (fresh) parsley
- Black pepper, to taste
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, zucchini, and carrot and saute for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the vegetable stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes, and salt. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a low boil. Add the tortellini and continue to cook soup for about 10-12 minutes more. Gently stir in the parsley and pepper during the last few minutes.