Sunday, July 8, 2012

Healthier Waffles

I have been a waffle addict since the day my mom bought a waffle maker many years ago.  We would make waffles almost every Saturday morning, and now that I have my own apartment and my own not-as-great waffle maker, I still make them pretty regularly.  So regularly that I figured it was probably time to healthify them.  These waffles are pretty darn good for only being about 85 calories a piece!   ...Until you drench them in syrup, which is my style, but topping them with non-fat Redi Whip is another good and almost calorie free option! Enjoy!
Makes 8 square waffles.


Ingredients:
1/2 white flour
1/2 whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons Stevia
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 blueberries (or more!)

Directions:
Preheat your waffle maker.  Spray with cooking spray before adding batter!!!

In a small bowl combine both types of flour, Stevia, baking powder, and salt.

In a large measuring cup, fill almost up to the 1 cup line with milk.  Add the egg, vanilla, and applesauce and mix well.  Combine with dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.  Fold in blueberries.

Nutrition information (for 1 waffle):
Calories: 85
Fat: 1 g
Carbs: 15 g
Protein: 3 g