Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies



I was recently introduced to a new blog, Spoon Fork Bacon, and I can't get enough of it.  I had a million and one things to do tonight (including studying for an exam that I have at 7:30am tomorrow), but once I saw this recipe, I just couldn't focus on periodontal pathogens any longer.  My roommate and I took a nice 4 mile walk  to and from the grocery to get all of the ingredients and I somehow managed to lose my license along the way.  These cookie sandwiches turned out absolutely perfectly, so after tasting one, I couldn't even be mad about that fact that I will have to spend a few hours at the BMV this weekend to get a new form of identification.  We'll see if I still feel that way after my exam!


This recipe was super quick and easy, taking about 45 minutes total.  I made 18 cookie sandwiches, but you can make more or less by varying the size cookies you roll out.  Enjoy!


Ingredients:
Cookies:
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup light brown sugar
¼ cup superfine sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups rolled oats
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Filling:
¼ cup salted butter, softened
¼ cup vegetable shortening
2 ¼ cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the softened butter and both types of sugar.  Beat on medium for about 3 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another minute.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the oats and the chocolate chips.


Lay a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spoon out the cookie dough into quarter size balls.  (You may need to wet your hands a tiny bit to keep the dough from sticking to you!)  Bake for 8-10 minutes.


While the cookies are baking, cream together the butter and shortening in a stand mixer on high for about 2 minutes.  Decrease the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar in 1/4 cup increments.  When all of the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and then increase the mixer speed to high for another 2 minutes.  Reduce the speed to add the heavy cream and vanilla extract and continue mixing until well combined.


When the cookies have cooled, place a spoonful of the filling in between cookies and share them with someone you love! :]