Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

This past weekend I attended the birthday party of my good friend's two-year-old Weimaraner.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Violet received full out princess treatment, per usual (I’m talking purple-themed, gourmet kabobs and party favors). 
My contribution to the party was a dozen delicious cupcakes!

I decided to make a simple chocolate cupcake because I already had a box of devil’s food cake mix in the pantry.  I frosted half of the cupcakes with violet buttercream icing, and the other half with chocolate cream cheese frosting, garnished with purple sugar sprinkles.  Although I have made many versions of cream cheese frosting in the past, this was my first time throwing chocolate into the mix.  I halved the frosting recipe since I knew I would be using buttercream as well; the recipe below will make about 4 cups.


Cupcakes:

1 package devil’s food cake mix with pudding (Betty Crocker always has pudding in the mix!)
1 c. sour cream
¾ c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two 6-cup muffin pans.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.  Scrap down the sides of the bowl and then continue to beat mixture on medium speed for about 2 minutes.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full.  Bake 22-25 minutes.

Frosting:

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick butter, at room temperature
½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. confectioners’ sugar

Place cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl.  Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, 30 seconds.  Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed until all ingredients are moistened, 30 seconds.  Increase speed to medium and beat until frosting is fluffy, 2 minutes more.


[Frosting recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor]